Our items, produced with the valuable clay from Impruneta, are guaranteed resistant to atmospheric agents and frost up to more than -30 degrees centigrade. In order to obtain the maximum life out of our products, here are some simple recommendations for use in cold weathers.
1. Drain water from the products in winter or when temperature falls under 3 degrees centigrade and ensure that rain does not collect in previously-emptied pots.
2. In pots containing soil, ensure that drain holes are always clear and unobstructed by roots, ground or anything else.
3. For any pots lacking drain holes: we recommend making a hole or more on the bottom, otherwise on the side, always close to the bottom. Use drill without percussion and “widia” bits for stone with a diameter of about 20 millimetres.
4. For any pot used as flower stand, ensure that water does not become stagnant and in such case empty it.
5. To avoid the filling of water, jars, pots with foot, flower stands, etc. can be closed with a cover that can be made of terracotta.
6.For flower pot dishes (that is, containers where water collects after watering plants), it is a good idea to set them upside down or put them in a protected place when the temperature reaches -3 degrees centigrade. Do not leave the pot always immersed in water, but lift it, also with terracotta spacers.
7. Before the start of cold weather, ensure that the pots are intact and do not have cracks or widespread fractures where water can collect. In this case protect the product from rain and direct cold. If necessary, cover the pot with a water-proof sheet. To increase the life of a damaged product, You can make two holes on the sides of the break near the upper edge and make a tying with iron thread. It is suitable to seal the cracks with glue.
8. Ensure that the products do not remain for long time in direct contact or immersed, even if partially, in the snow. In case of snowfalls, clear the snow off the perimeter of the product in order to avoid possible damages due to the continuous contact with snow and frost.
9. Use caution when moving frozen objects, since the bottom or any side of the pots could be attached to the ground. Do not use boiling water, salt or similar products on pots to melt frost or snow.
10.For a longer life of the products, use always natural fertilizers with guaranteed quality. It is preferable to use spacers under the pots to space them out from the ground.